Is Eve Flair the perfect bedside table light and a little automation

 


This is our bedside table setup at our friends house. It consists of a HomePod which is behind the Eve Flair and next to it is a Belkin Boostcharge Pro 3-in-1 charger, which can charge my iPhone, Apple Watch and AirPods at the same time.

The Eve Flair was not exactly easy to get as Eve does not sell it in the UK and so I had to order it from German Amazon. Fortunately it is below the UK threshold for import duty, and so I could order one and get it shipped. All I had to do was change the plug from a Euro plug to a UK plug.



The Eve Flair is a great lamp. It comes as 2 parts. A base and a plastic ball, which sits on the base. The plastic ball reminds me of a globe in the Star Trek original series episode The base charges the ball, which has a handle on the bottom, and so it can be used as a portable light, and the battery life is quite impressive.

Connection is via Bluetooth. I suspect a Thread version is coming as Eve recently showed one being controlled by Matter.

The light also has the many colour hues that you would normally expect.

Brightness isn’t amazing but it is certainly good enough as a bedside light.

Where the light falls down is that , for some reason, it does not support adaptive lighting, which is a touch bizar. It has all the colours, so I have no idea why not.

A little automation.

As I mentioned, there is a Belkin charger where I charge up my mobile products overnight. I have also setup a sleep schedule in the health app so that the alarm goes off at 6:15am Monday to Thursday, and 6:30am on a Friday. It would be rather nice if I could make the alarm use my HomePod…. But that’s too obvious an integration.








What I wanted to do was to run an automation so that the Eve Flair would come on when I turned off the wake-up alarm. This I did using automations in the shortcut app.
































As I have setup my mother’s house in Cornwall, and I’m currently staying with friends, I have 2 homes setup in HomeKit. This means I have to check on the location first, and I did it to the level of suburb.

The logic is get the location
Then if the suburb of location is Witney, then turn on the Eve Flair in the guest bedroom in Witney.









Comments