My tale of Woe with iRobot.... and how not to do customer service.


In late 2021 I bought an iRobot Roomba J7, there version that ignores pet pooh, and I also ordered a clean base. I didn't get to implement them for a few months as I actually bought a new house in late January, and so it wasn't until March that there was enough cleared away for me to implement said robot (I'd had a 960 in the USA and had brought it with me).

The reason for a 2nd robot was because in the USA I had a bungalow, now I have a multi story house. As good as these robots are..... they just don't climb stairs yet. I think we need a Dalek solution.

One of the things I couldn't do was get my robot to return to base and empty. I couldn't understand it, and finally I found out I had a base for an i7. Note, that in the accessories it is not titled that it is for an i7, it just says "clean base" and you can add it to your basket and pay for it without once seeing that it is specifically for the i7.

The first response I got was along the lines of "of course we sell a J7 and an i7 clean base separately", it's your problem..... even, as I've just pointed out, you can buy them separately without actually seeing that the clean base is only for an i7.


I've subsequently found out that I can't buy a j7 base in the UK as it isn't offered.... even though it is. available in the USA.

I then suggested that they ship me an j7 base, and I'd pay the difference, and I'd buy an i7(I have 3 floors) to go with the Clean base I already have. This seemed like a win-win. They get more money, and I get the clean base I need. 

Nope. Would not do that as that would involve a return and I had had my Roomba for more than 30 days... even though by the time I had the conversation with them, I had used it less than 30 days, which they can tell, and that the trial period had extended in the UK to 90 days.

Basically, their attitude is that they have my money and they really really don't care about making a customer happy.

Shame on you iRobot. Shame on your terrible customer service.

Comments