Roku - integration with HomeKit....and people complain about the tv UX?

 Recently I've been involved in setting up other people's tech. Mostly around Smart homes, but sometimes just basic computer stuff.

Today I got to play with a few pieces of tech I've not played with before. One of those pieces of tech was a Roku Ultra. My friend got it asa freebie for taking up a streaming service from one of the big providers.


My first impression was that it is smaller than an tv. About the same width and length, but definitely thinner. The remote is more traditional, with buttons, instead of swipe.

The UI though? I do find it very clunky compared to the tv and it doesn't seem to operate as fast. Now, that could be me being a bit of a luddite, but it just seemed less polished overall.

I know the tv remote also comes under a lot of criticism. However, personally, I like it the gesture control.

Still, the Roku is cheaper than an tv.

Now, let's talk about...

tv+ app, AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support

the Roku gives you 3 things:
  1. the tv+ app
  2. AirPlay 2 support
  3. HomeKit control
The app is no big surprise. ou just download it and it looks just the same as it does on an tv. Give you the same functionality for all teh channels you subscribe to via the tv service. Unlike an tv, though, the search capability does not include channels not subscribed to via Apple.

AirPlay 2 support is different. It's there in the latest firmware's s is HomeKit support. It's very easy to set up and I could mirror an iPhone to it. I didn't try anything else, but I suspect it would all work.

HomeKit support, though, was definitely interesting. When I added it to HomeKit, it showed up as a streaming device and I could now turn on/off the Roku, and thus the TV, using the owners iPhone. I could also use the Remote app to control the Roku. I did also use Siri for some basic functions, but not sure if it is possible to get the Roku to show programs inside apps like it is with an tv.


Comments