Lighting up an Ikea Display Cabinet with Lightstrips


 I've got quite an expansive Star Trek collection, part of which are shown in a row of Ikea Billy/Oxberg display cabinets. I got this row 2nd hand.

One of the things I wanted to do was to Light the cabinets and, recently, Best Buy had a deal where you could get 2m + a 1m extension of the V2 Lightstrip for only $59, so I jumped on it and bought a few.

Whilst it may seem simple to do, it's not quite as simple as it may first seem. 

First of all, you need them at the front, shining in, rather than the back shining out. Initially I thought to run the light strip down the side, just in front of the shelves, but there isn't quite enough room. No problem, I could modify the shelves, but there's a fair amount of things you have to avoid, particularly the hinges. It was just impractical.


This meant that I had to put the Light Strip on the back of the doors, near to the hinges. Fortunately, there is just enough room, and the hinges are almost flat enough that it got sin with no problem.

You also have to make sure you have flexibility in the wire to be able to open the door. I suggest you do what I did which is start the Light Sttrip right at the extremity of the door. I started at the bottom because all of my power sockets are near the floor and I could hide the power boxes under the lip of the cabinet quite well. However, Using the top could be better if you want to run power to the top of the cabinet.

The Light Strips are slightly longer than the doors, so you do need a little kink at the end, but it's not a big deal.

Adding them to HomeKit is just the standard method of adding to Hue. Beforehand, I had to move some accessories to my 2nd hub due to the limit of 50 accessories per hub and to try and be consistent with whole rooms being on one hub or the other. Once added to Hue and placed in a Room, it was then over to HomeKit.

*TIP* Hue has this annoying thing that if you name a device in Hue and then change it in HomeKit, every time you open the Hue app it will tell you there is a mismatch and ask if you want to make them consistent with each other. Whilst this is a good idea, the implementation is not so great. Hue enforces Hue naming on HomeKit and you will often find that devices change rooms afterwards, even ones that have nothing to do with Hue. So, make sure that you always set up the names you want to appear correctly in Hue first.




The two Lightstrips actually show up in the correct room. I grouped them together inside HomeKit and removed them from Favourites.

That's it! Simple but effective!



Comments