Watching Media now!

 




As I mentioned in my first post, it all started with Media, and so I started with a Macmini, that had an Elgato video capture device. I can't remember what it was now... but it is irrelevant because that device isn't sold any more. They still do video capture though.

I had it connected to my multi-format VCR, that could do PAL, Secam and NTSC so I could digitise my old videos, and also to my Satellite box so I could record from TV straight to my Macmini.

For Audio, I had an iMac, which gave me the audio connection out of my Amp and into the Macmini so I could record Audio. The software I used was Audacity Actually, I still use it today as I still buy vinyl, and most of it is rare/obscure stuff that you can't find anywhere else.

The Macmini had audio and video out into the Audio Video Receiver (AVR).

After the videos, I then started using making copies of my DVD's, later I used makemkv to do this as it can also read Blu-ray Discs, and had it integrated in with Handbrake to convert to mp4's which also, in turn was integrated with MetaZ to get all the meta data and cover graphics.

This enabled me to build one huge iTunes library, and it contained everything I needed. It's much easier than loading records, CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ra's, etc. Point and click! Brilliant!

This is before streaming and, remember, I do have some very obscure stuff! 

I'm also a fan of 3D... and you can't stream 3D. 

I've now got 12TB of media which sits on 2 eSATA drives and which is backed up by another 12TB drive.

I must admit, though, as time went on and I learnt to use Audacity, I got better at it... and I need to re-record some of my vinyl.

Then Apple came out with......


                                  

I didn't get the first version. There seemed no point, especially in Australia. It was basically a cut down Macmini.

But then the 2nd version came out, and I upgraded my TV from a Panasonic Plasma (1080i) to an LED 1080p. So I bought an Apple TV. Streaming was very limited in Australia, but it worked well with my Macmini which I also upgraded so that the conversions became faster.

Moving back to the USA in 2017 meant I could finally get good streaming applications and I cut the cord. I do use Xfinity to supply my internet... at the time, AT&T could not offer the speeds I wanted. However, Internet was all I bought from them (Subsequently mobile as they resell Verizon and the package is good), but not their TV packages.... but that is a subject for another post.

Initially, in the US, I had an tv 4, and now I have an tv 4K. This formed the backbone of what became my HomeKit.

So, what does my system look like now?




In my home office I have my Macmini with a Blu-ray drive and 24TB of storage, which thanks to , now has to run iTunes, for music, and tv (The application) to share all my video content. For me it is a step backwards that I have to separate the two.

In the living room, I have:
These are all plugged into a Denon AVR-X1500H (which seems to have been replaced by the Denon AVR-X1600H), which I used to replace the Denon I brought over from Australia. May reasons for buying this were:
  • It does Airplay 2
  • It fits inside my antique Chinese cabinet (The older Denon did not) which I use as my media cabinet
  • It has 2 zones (All I need)
  • It gives me 7.2 sound
  • It supports just about every modern video/audio standard I can think of.
The output comes out into a Philips Hue Sync Box, of which I use one single input (Why do they not have a single input version?) and that goes into an LG OLED65C6P for my TV. It's a 2016 model. It does 4K and 3D. It has a WebOS interface.... which I never use now. Quite frankly, it is a big fancy arsed monitor! Brilliant TV though!

Because everything is connected via HDMI, when I watch TV it's always with my AppleTV and so by using HDMI-CEC I can just use my Apple Remote. I literally press the Menu button and the AVR turns on, as well as the Hue Sync and the LG TV.

Now, you may be wondering how I control the AVR, Blu-Ray and the TV. Do I have multiple remotes hanging around to switch inputs on the AVR? What about my Blu-Ray player?

That's the subject of my next blog post.

Recording Vinyl is now done by me plugging my MacBook Pro into the AVR. It doesn't happen often.






Comments